HAMPTON, a township, in the parish of Malpas, union of Nantwich, Higher division of the hundred of Broxton, S. division of the county of Chester, 2½ miles (N. E.) from Malpas; containing 290 inhabitants. The manor was held under the barony of Malpas, by the Malpas family, in the reign of Henry VI. Hampton Hall and an estate, parcel of the manor, passed by a coheir of that family to the Bromleys, and from them to the Dods; but the manor itself was for several centuries in the Egertons, who continued to possess it until 1801, when it was sold to Ambrose Brooke, Esq. The township lies on the road from Chester to Whitchurch, and comprises 1158 acres, of a clayey and sandy soil. The tithes have been commuted for £115.