Hampsthwaite (St. Thomas à Becket)
HAMPSTHWAITE (St. Thomas Ã Becket), a parish, in the Lower division of the wapentake of Claro, W. riding of York; containing, with the townships of Birstwith, Felliscliffe, Menwith with Darley, and Thornthwaite with Padside, 2500 inhabitants, of whom 455 are in the township of Hampsthwaite, 1Â½ mile (S. W. by W.) from Ripley. The parish comprises about 11,250 acres, and lies on the banks of the river Nidd, which for a distance of several miles forms its northern boundary, separating it from the parishes of Ripley and Ripon; the soil and scenery are of great variety. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at Â£13. 6. 8., and in the patronage of the Heirs of the late Rev. T. Shann, the impropriators; with a net income of Â£264. The church, an ancient structure in the early English style, was, with the exception of the tower, rebuilt in 1821. At the western extremity of the parish, about six miles from the church, is the chapel of Thornthwaite.