Hampstead-Norris (St. Mary)
HAMPSTEAD-NORRIS (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Wantage, hundred of Faircross, county of Berks, 7 miles (N. E.) from Newbury; containing, with the chapelry of Hermitage, 1280 inhabitants. The parish comprises 5580a. 1r. 1p.: the soil in some parts is light and sandy, and in others chalky, and abounding in flints; the surface is hilly. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £9. 18. 11½.; patron and impropriator, the Marquess of Downshire: the great tithes have been commuted for £916, and the vicarial for £313; the impropriate glebe contains 152 acres, and the vicarial 135. At Hermitage is a separate incumbency. The Independents and Wesleyans have places of worship; and there was formerly a chapel at Langley Hall, dedicated to St. John the Baptist. In the Park coppice are a large tumulus, and the remains of an intrenchment. The foundations of an ancient building, some tessellated pavement, a few coins, and a number of Roman bricks were discovered, on excavating a field near Well House, in 1827.