HAMPOLE, a township, in the parish of Adwickle-Street, union of Doncaster, N. division of the wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, W. riding of York, 6½ miles (N. W.) from Doncaster; containing 120 inhabitants. This was the site of a Cistercian priory, founded in 1170, by William de Clairfai and his wife Avicia de Tarry, for fourteen nuns, and dedicated to the Blessed Virgin; the establishment flourished till the Dissolution, when its revenue was £85. 6. 11. There are still some remains of the building, converted into cottages. The township comprises about 1200 acres, of which 150 are in woods and plantations, and the remainder arable and pasture land.