Hampnett, West (St. Peter)
HAMPNETT, WEST (St. Peter), a parish, and the head of a union, in the hundred of Box and Stockbridge, rape of Chichester, W. division of Sussex, 1½ mile (N. E.) from Chichester; containing 520 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the road from Chichester to Arundel, and partly within its limits is Goodwood, the seat of the Duke of Richmond, to whom the manor belongs. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £7. 4. 4.; net income, £52; patron and impropriator, his Grace, whose tithes have been commuted for £420. The church is chiefly in the early English style, with some Norman remains, and a tower at the east end of the aisle; in the north wall of the chancel is a mural monument of Caen stone to Richard and Elizabeth Sackville, whose effigies are sculptured in a kneeling posture: the church was newly pewed in 1838. The poor-law union comprises 37 parishes or places, and a population of 14,157.