Hampnett (St. George)
HAMPNETT (St. George), a parish, in the union of Northleach, hundred of Bradley, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 1½ mile (N. W. by N.) from Northleach; containing 195 inhabitants. It comprises about 1350 acres. The soil is various, consisting of down land, chalk, and clay; the surface is chiefly level, with the exception of some rising grounds on the side of a valley which runs through the centre of the parish. A small brook called the Leach has its rise here, and in its progress gives name to the town of Northleach. The living is a rectory, with that of Stowell united in 1660, valued in the king's books at £10; net income, £447; patrons, the Representatives of the late Lord Stowell. The church is principally in the early English style. The old Fosse-way passes along the south-eastern boundary of the parish.