Hampden, Great (St. Mary Magdalene)
HAMPDEN, GREAT (St. Mary Magdalene), a parish, in the union of Wycombe, hundred of Aylesbury, county of Buckingham, 2½ miles (W. N. W.) from Great Missenden; containing 290 inhabitants. This place was anciently the property of the Hampden family, of whom Griffith Hampden entertained Queen Elizabeth here, and, to pay Her Majesty the more honour, cut an avenue through his woods for her more convenient approach to the mansion. The parish comprises 1710 acres, of which about 300 are woodland, 64 waste or common, and the remainder arable and pasture: the soil is partly clay and partly gravel; the surface is hilly, and the scenery pleasing. The living is a rectory, with the vicarage of Great Kimble consolidated in 1799, valued in the king's books at £9. 9. 7., and until recently in the gift of the Earl of Buckinghamshire. The tithes have been commuted for £295, and the glebe comprises 37 acres. A gallery has been erected in the church, and 100 free sittings provided: among the monuments is one to the memory of the celebrated John Hampden, ornamented with a medallion, on which is a tree with the arms of the family and of their alliances; and having at the foot, in bas-relief, a representation of the action of Chalgrove, in which he received a wound, causing his death about three weeks afterwards.