HAMBLETON, a township, in the parish of Brayton, Lower division of the wapentake of BarkstoneAsh, W. riding of York, 4 miles (W. S. W.) from Selby; containing 607 inhabitants. The township comprises about 2200 acres. The soil is light and sandy, but not unfertile; the surface is boldly undulated, and the lofty and richly-wooded hill called Hambleton Hough forms a conspicuous feature in the scenery. A station on the Leeds and Selby railway is situated here. The tithes were commuted for land and money payments, under an inclosure act, in 1796, when, also, an allotment was given for the support of a school erected in the same year. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.