HAMBLETON, an ecclesiastical parish, in the parish of Kirkham, union of Garstang, hundred of Amounderness, N. division of Lancashire, 17 miles (N. W. by W.) from Preston; containing 349 inhabitants. This place is mentioned in the Domesday survey. It was given by King John to an ancestor of the Sherburns, who were succeeded in the possession of the manor by the Weld family. Hambleton is situated on the northern bank of the navigable river Wyre, by which it is separated from the rest of the parish; and comprises 1322a. 2r. 4p., whereof about 504 acres are arable, 597 pasture, 191 meadow, and a very small portion woodland. The Wyre, which is here 500 yards in breadth, is crossed by a ferry to Poulton, called Shard ferry. "This river," Dr. Leigh observes, "affords a pearl-fishing, pearls being frequently found in large muscles, named by the inhabitants Hambleton hookins, from their manner of taking them, which is done by plucking them from their skeers or beds with hooks:" "these pearl-muscles," he adds, "are very common in Lancashire." Hambleton long formed a chapelry in the parish; but by an order in council made 21st January, 1846, it was constituted a separate benefice. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Vicar of Kirkham; net income, about £125. The tithes have been commuted for £178. 13. payable to the Dean and Chapter of ChristChurch, Oxford, and £35. 19. 8. to the vicar. The church is a plain brick building, erected in 1749, on the site of a very ancient chapel, of which the date is unknown.