Hambledon (St. Peter)
HAMBLEDON (St. Peter), a parish, and the head of a union, in the First division of the hundred of Godalming, W. division of Surrey, 4 miles (S. by W.) from Godalming; containing 534 inhabitants. It comprises about 1264 acres, of which the greater portion is arable land: the scenery is romantic. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £6. 7. 11.; net income, £207; patron, the Earl of Radnor. The church was much improved and enlarged in 1846, and occupies an elevated situation: in the churchyard are two fine yew-trees, one of which measures twenty-two feet in circumference at three feet from the ground. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. The poor law union comprises 16 parishes or places, and contains a population of 12,811.