Ham, High (St. Andrew)
HAM, HIGH (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Langport, hundred of Whitley, W. division of Somerset, 3 miles (N.) from Langport; containing, with the chapelry of Low Ham, the tything of Beer, the hamlet of Henley, and part of the hamlet of Paradise, 1281 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the road from Langport to Bristol, and comprises by measurement 4230 acres. Blue and white lias are extensively quarried for building, burning into lime, and for the roads. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £38. 19. 2., and in the gift of Worcester College, Oxford: the tithes have been commuted for £450, and the glebe comprises 55 acres. The church is a spacious and handsome structure in the later English style, with a square embattled tower, and contains a richly-carved oak screen in excellent preservation. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.