Ham, East (St. Mary Magdalene)
HAM, EAST (St. Mary Magdalene), a parish, in the union of West Ham, hundred of Becontree, S. division of Essex, 6 miles (E.) from London; containing 1461 inhabitants. This parish, which, previously to the Conquest, formed part of the endowment of Westminster Abbey, is bounded on the south-east by the river Thames, and on the west by Bow creek, which separates it from the county of Middlesex. It comprises 2520 acres, whereof about 1456 are upland, and 1000 marsh. In the hamlet of Greenstreet is a handsome mansion with a tower of brick, which was occasionally the residence of Henry VIII. and his queen, Anna Boleyn. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £14. 3. 9.; patron, the Bishop of London; impropriator, T. Wilson, Esq.: the great tithes have been commuted for £320, and the vicarial for £1000; the glebe comprises one acre. The church is an ancient structure in the Norman style, consisting of a nave and chancel, with a Lady chapel; the eastern extremity is semicircular: on the south side of the altar is a double piscina, with a bracket. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. An almshouse for three men was erected, and endowed with £40 per annum, by Giles Breme, in 1621; besides which, considerable benefactions have been made for charitable purposes by the Latimer family and others. Stukeley, the antiquary, who died in 1765, was buried in the churchyard.