HALWELL, a parish, in the union of Holsworthy, hundred of Black Torrington, Holsworthy and N. divisions of Devon, 6 miles (N. E. by N.) from Launceston; containing 319 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from Oakhampton to Holsworthy, and comprises 2881 acres, of which 1605 are waste land or common; the soil is clayey, and the cultivated lands are chiefly arable. Good freestone is obtained. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £12. 3. 9., and in the patronage of the Crown; net income, £210. The glebe comprises about 75 acres. There is a place of worship for Baptists.