Halton, West (St. Ethelreda)
HALTON, WEST (St. Ethelreda), a parish, in the union of Glandford-Brigg, N. division of the wapentake of Manley, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 8½ miles (W.) from Barton-upon-Humber, and 12 (N. N. W.) from Glandford-Brigg; containing, with the township of Gunhouse, and part of the hamlet of Coleby, 424 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated upon the road to Whitton Ferry on the Humber, comprises 2942 acres, of which two-thirds are arable, and onethird meadow, pasture, and woodland; the surface is rather undulated, and the soil of various kinds, but fertile. Stone of moderate quality is quarried for the roads and for building cottages. The ferry affords facility of communication by steam-packets, daily; and at Brough, on the opposite side of the river, is a station on the Hull railway. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £16, and in the gift of the Bishop of Norwich: the tithes of West Halton and Gunhouse have been commuted for £401. 12., and certain impropriate tithes for £35; the glebe comprises 340 acres. The church is a small edifice in the later English style, erected in 1695, with the materials of a larger structure, which was destroyed by fire; it was repaired and repewed in 1840, and the altar has been beautified, a new porch and vestry built, and a gallery added, during the incumbency of the present rector. The chapel of ease at Gunhouse was rebuilt in 1838. There are places of worship for Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists.