Halton, East, or Halton-upon-Humber (St. Peter)
HALTON, EAST, or Halton-upon-Humber (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Glandford-Brigg, E. division of the wapentake of Yarborough, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 7½ miles (E. by S.) from Barton, and 5 miles (S. E.) from Barrow; containing 627 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the river Humber, and comprises by measurement 3500 acres; the soil, though various, is moderately fertile. Communication is maintained with the port of Hull by a marketboat from Halton-Skitter, twice every week. The village, which is irregularly built, forms a line of considerable length, and commands some fine views of the river and of the opposite coast of Yorkshire. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £7. 18. 4., and has a net income of £161: patron and impropriator, the Earl of Yarborough: the tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1801; the glebe comprises 160 acres. The church was erected prior to the Conquest. There are places of worship for Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists.