Halstow, High, (St. Margaret)
HALSTOW, HIGH, (St. Margaret), a parish, in the union and hundred of Hoo, lathe of Aylesford, W. division of Kent, 6 miles (N. N. E.) from Rochester; containing 373 inhabitants. The parish comprises 2926a. 2r. 30p., of which about 1283 acres are arable, 1468 pasture and marsh, 58 acres salts, or land outside the river walls, and 85 wood, consisting chiefly of oak and elm. The soil of the arable grounds is heavy; the pastures were formerly for the most part overflowed by the Thames, but now, though the soil is wet and heavy, are in tolerable condition, The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £14. 5. 7½., and in the patronage of Mrs. S. Burt: the tithes have been commuted for £759, and there are five acres of glebe.