HALSTON, an extra-parochial liberty, in the hundred of Oswestry, N. division of Salop, 3½ miles (E. N. E.) from Oswestry; containing 34 inhabitants. The Knights Templars had a preceptory here, dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary, which subsequently belonged to the Hospitallers, and was valued in the 26th of Henry VIII. at £160. 14. 10. per annum: in the reign of Mary it was re-granted to the order of St. John of Jerusalem, and in that of Elizabeth was possessed by William Horne. The district comprises about 1700 acres; the soil is generally loam, with a portion of reclaimed bog which is now very fertile. Halston House is a handsome mansion, in front of which is a fine sheet of water, formed by a diversion of the channel of the river Perry. The Ellesmere canal passes close to the boundary of the liberty. Connected with Halston House is an elegant chapel, in the later English style, the living of which is a donative, in the patronage of the Mytton family, who pay the minister an annual stipend of £105.