Halsham (All Saints)
HALSHAM (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Patrington, S. division of the wapentake of Holderness, E. riding of York, 6 miles (E. by S.) from Hedon; containing 284 inhabitants. It comprises 2800 acres. The soil is various, in some parts rich arable land, and in others of inferior quality; the surface is flat, and was formerly subject to inundation. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £13. 6. 8.; net income, £631; patron, J. Dyneley, Esq. On an eminence near the church is an elegant mausoleum, built at an expense of £10,000, of white freestone faced with polished marble, having in the centre a beautiful monument to the memory of William Constable, Esq., whose remains lie here, surrounded by those of his ancestors. Sir John Constable, in 1579, bequeathed a rent-charge of £80, for a free school, and an hospital for eight men and two women; to which Catherine Constable added £6. 13. 4. a year for putting out apprentices, and £10 a year for the maintenance of a scholar at Trinity College, Oxford. These two latter sums, however, have never been paid or demanded: the £6. 13. 4. were to be paid out of lands at Gates-in-Stainhoe and Stapleton-upon-Tees, and the £10 out of tithes at Baldersby now belonging to Lord Grantham.