Hallam, West (St. Wilfrid)
HALLAM, WEST (St. Wilfrid), a parish, in the union of Shardlow, hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, S. division of the county of Derby, 7 miles (N. E. by E.) from Derby; containing 677 inhabitants. This parish comprises 1322a. 2r. 30p., the soil of which is chiefly a strong clay alternated with marl, and in some parts of lighter quality. The surface is undulated, and the scenery extensive and beautiful; the lower lands are watered by a rivulet called the Nutbrook. Coal is found in abundance, and several collieries are in full operation: the produce is partly conveyed by a branch of the Erewash canal; there is also a considerable traffic by land. The weaving of stockings is carried on to some extent, and the making of lace affords employment to many of the females. The village has been almost entirely rebuilt by Francis Newdigate, Esq., lord of the manor and proprietor of the soil, who has also improved the roads. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £8, and in the patronage of Mr. Newdigate: the tithes have been commuted for £250, and the glebe comprises 40 acres, with a glebe-house. The church is in good repair, and is a neat structure, consisting of a nave, chancel, aisles, and a square embattled tower: in the eastern window are coats of arms of the Hunloke family, who formerly possessed the property. The Rev. John Scargill, in 1662, bequeathed £540 for the erection and endowment of a school, of which the annual income is now about £174: the school was rebuilt in 1838. There is a mineral spring, similar in its properties to the Harrogate waters, containing a large proportion of sulphur, and a little lime.