HALLAM, NETHER, a township, in the parish of Sheffield, union of Ecclesall-Bierlow, S. division of the wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, W. riding of York, 2 miles (W.) from Sheffield; containing 7275 inhabitants. It comprised an extensive common, which, together with that of Upper Hallam, was inclosed in 1791, and brought into a profitable state of cultivation; the scenery is varied, and the Hadfield reservoir of the Sheffield water-works is in the township. A church, dedicated to St. Thomas, was erected in the populous district of Crookes, in 1840, at an expense of £1400, raised by subscription; is a neat structure in the early English style, with a square embattled tower, situated on an eminence, and contains 600 sittings, of which 200 are free. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of five trustees; net income, £150, with a good residence. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.