Hale, Great (St. John the Baptist)
HALE, GREAT (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Sleaford, wapentake of Aswardhurn, parts of Kesteven, county of Lincoln, 5¾ miles (E. S. E.) from Sleaford; containing 1003 inhabitants. This parish, including the township of Little Hale, comprises by measurement 6244 acres; and has a considerable village. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8. 6., and in the patronage of the Crown. The church is principally in the decorated English style, and was thoroughly repaired and beautified in 1825-7: the chancel was taken down some time ago. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans; and a parochial school is supported by the rent of land assigned on the inclosure of the parish. An allotment of 32 acres is let out to the poor of the township of Great Hale, producing a rental of £50, which is distributed among the most necessitous.