Hale (St. Mary)
HALE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and hundred of Fordingbridge, Ringwood and S. divisions of the county of Southampton, 2 miles (E. by S.) from Downton; containing 209 inhabitants. The parish is bounded on the west by the river Avon, and comprises 1672 acres, of which 456 are woodland, 392 waste, and the rest arable and pasture. The soil, with the exception of the water-meadows, is dry and gravelly; the district around Hale House is richly wooded with oak, elm, and fir, but the other parts consist mainly of elevated downs. The living is a donative; net income, £122; patron, Joseph Goff, Esq. The tithes of the parish, except South Charford, have been commuted for £185; the glebe comprises 5 acres. The church is in the Grecian style.