HAILEY, a chapelry, in the parish and union of Witney, hundred of Bampton, county of Oxford, 1½ mile (N.) from Witney; containing 1440 inhabitants. It comprises 2827a. 14p., of which about 1800 acres are arable, 700 pasture, 140 woodland, and 78 common. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £143; patron, the Rector of Witney, whose tithes at Hailey have been commuted for £780. The chapel, dedicated to St. John the Evangelist, has been enlarged with 180 free sittings.