Haghmon, or Haughmond, Abbey
HAGHMON, or HAUGHMOND, ABBEY, an extra-parochial liberty, in the union of Atcham, Wellington division of the hundred of South Bradford, N. division of Salop, 4¼ miles (N. E.) from Shrewsbury; containing 169 inhabitants, and comprising 1480 acres of land. In 1110, William Fitz-Alan, of Clun, founded an abbey here for Canons regular of the order of St. Augustine, and dedicated it to St. John the Apostle and Evangelist; the revenue, at the Dissolution, amounted to £294. 12. 9. The remains consist of the chapterhouse, which is entire, the south doorway of the nave of the church, and a range of building supposed to have been the abbot's lodging and hall, partly Norman, but chiefly in the early English style. The Rev. William Clarke, chancellor in the cathedral of Chichester, and an antiquary of repute, was born at this place in 1696.