Hadlow-Down (St. Mark)
HADLOW-DOWN (St. Mark), a district parish, partly in the parish of Buxted, hundred of Loxfield-Dorset, and partly in that of Framfield, hundred of Loxfield-Camden, union of Uckfield, rape of Pevensey, E. division of Sussex, 5 miles (N. E.) from Uckfield; containing 1000 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, endowed with a charge on the rectory of Buxted and the vicarage of Mayfield, and augmented by a grant from Queen Anne's Bounty; alternate patrons, the Incumbents of Buxted and Mayfield; net income, £120. The church, erected by subscription, aided by the Incorporated Society, on a site which, together with a glebe of 7 acres, was given by Earl De la Warr, lord of the manor, was completed in 1836, at an expense of £2200; it is a neat edifice in the early English style, with an embattled tower surmounted by a spire, and contains 436 sittings, of which 345 are free. A neat parsonage-house has been erected by subscription; and near the church is a national school.