Hadley, Monken (St. Mary)
HADLEY, MONKEN (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Barnet, hundred of Edmonton, county of Middlesex, 1 mile (E. by N.) from Barnet; containing 945 inhabitants. This parish, which was formerly a hamlet in Edmonton, comprises nearly 500 acres; the common affords excellent pasturage, and the inhabitants have the right of turning cattle upon it. The village contains numerous well-built houses. The living is a donative; net income, £199; patron and incumbent, the Rev. Dr. Proctor. The church consists of a nave, aisles, chancel, and transept; the aisles are separated from the nave by depressed arches and clustered pillars: at the west end is a tower of flint, on the top of which is an iron beacon. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. Amongst eminent persons buried here were Sir William Stamford, a learned judge and writer on the law; Dr. John Monro, a physician, author of a treatise on insanity; and Mrs. Chapone, who wrote Letters on the Improvement of the Mind, published in 1773.