Hadham, Much (St. Andrew)
HADHAM, MUCH (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Bishop-Stortford, hundred of Edwinstree, county of Hertford, 7 miles (N. E. by E.) from Ware; containing 1318 inhabitants. The parish comprises 4454a. 3r. 32p., of which about 3251 acres are arable, 915 meadow, and 211 woodland. In its general aspect and soil it resembles Little Hadham. The valleys are watered by a small rivulet called the Ash, and the scenery is pleasingly enriched with the well-cultivated demesnes attached to several gentlemen's seats. The living is a rectory, with that of Little Hadham united, valued in the king's books at £66. 13. 4., and in the gift of the Bishop of London: the tithes have been commuted for £1200, and the glebe comprises 165 acres. The Independents have a place of worship. Here are the remains of a palace that belonged to the bishops of London, now a private residence.