HADFIELD, a township, in the parish and union of Glossop, hundred of High Peak, N. division of the county of Derby, 11 miles (N. by W.) from Chapel-enle-Frith; containing 1499 inhabitants. About 50 years since, this district, which is bounded on the north by the river Etherow, and comprises 357 acres of land, was almost entirely agricultural, and thinly inhabited; but now there are many flourishing cotton-factories, some of them on a large scale, which afford employment to nearly the whole of the population. There are also several good stone-quarries. The Sheffield and Manchester railway crosses the township a little to the south of the village; and about one mile west-by-south from Hadfield, is a bridge over the Etherow, at the junction of three roads, connecting Manchester, Stockport, and Yorkshire, with Glossop Dale. Cattle-fairs are held on May 9th and October 15th. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.