Haddon, West (All Saints)
HADDON, WEST (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Daventry, hundred of Guilsborough, S. division of the county of Northampton, 7¼ miles (N. N. E.) from Daventry; containing 1013 inhabitants. Before the Conquest this place belonged to Leofric, Earl of Mercia, who gave it to the priory of Coventry at the time of its foundation: subsequently, the monasteries of Daventry and Sulby, and the priory of St. John of Jerusalem, had possessions here. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £13. 6. 8.; net income, £240; patron, S. Spence, Esq.; impropriator, C. Heighgate, Esq. The Baptists and Wesleyans have each a place of worship; and there is a national school. Ostor Hill, a high tumulus, supposed to be of P. Ostorius, pro-prætor in Britain, is situated in the parish.