HADDLESEY, CHAPEL, a chapelry, in the parish of Birkin, union of Selby, Lower division of the wapentake of Barkstone-Ash, W. riding of York, 4½ miles (S. S. W.) from Selby; containing 216 inhabitants. This township, which includes the hamlet of East Haddlesey, and comprises by computation 1140 acres, is situated on the north side of the river Aire, over which is a handsome stone bridge of three arches, erected in 1833: the road from Doncaster to Selby passes through the village. Certain tithes of this place and of West Haddlesey were commuted for land and money payments, under an act of inclosure, in 1789, and tithes in the latter place have since been commuted for a rentcharge of £23. The chapel, which is dedicated to St. John the Baptist, was rebuilt in 1836, at a cost of £700, and contains 250 sittings, whereof 180 are free. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.