Hackthorn (St. Michael)
HACKTHORN (St. Michael), a parish, in the E. division of the wapentake of Aslacoe, parts of Lindsey, union and county of Lincoln, 8 miles (N. by E.) from Lincoln; containing 246 inhabitants. This parish, which is distant about a mile and a half from the Roman road between Lincoln and Barton-upon-Humber, comprises by measurement 2350 acres: stone of indifferent quality is found, and quarried for fences and out-buildings. Hackthorn Hall is a handsome mansion. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £4, and with the living of Cold Hanworth united; net income, £260; patron, R. Cracroft, Esq. The tithes of the parish were commuted for land in 1778; the glebe comprises 105 acres. The church was erected about the time of the Conquest, on the site of a more ancient structure; at the western entrance, and on the south, are handsome Norman arches.