Hackness (St. Peter)
HACKNESS (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Scarborough, liberty of Whitby-Strand, N. riding of York; containing, with the townships of Broxa, and Suffield with Everley, and the chapelry of HarwoodDale with Silpho, 714 inhabitants, of whom 182 are in the township of Hackness, 6 miles (W. by N.) from Scarborough. The parish comprises 11,892 acres, of which 3001 are arable, 2639 grass, 1488 wood, and 4764 moor and waste. The township of Hackness contains 646 acres, whereof 230 are arable, 248 pasture, 75 wood, and 93 waste or moor. The village is romantically situated in a delightful vale, from which several other vales run in different directions across the country: the hills that inclose the valley are from 100 to 120 yards in perpendicular height, and their steep acclivities are profusely adorned with lofty trees of the richest foliage. Springs of water rushing in cascades from the sides of the hills, or falling with gentle murmurs, contribute to the beauty of the scenery; and the river Derwent, which has its source in the mountainous country to the north, glides past the village. Excellent freestone is quarried, of which Christ-Church and the museum at Scarborough are built. A fair for cattle is held in July. Hackness Hall is a splendid mansion, surrounded with fine gardens and pleasure-grounds planned with exquisite taste. The living is a perpetual curacy, with the chapelry of Harwood-Dale annexed, in the patronage of Sir J. V. B. Johnstone, Bart.; net income of Hackness, £53. The church is a very ancient structure, with a tower surmounted by a spire; the chancel is considered to be of the time of Henry VII., but the nave is of much earlier date: it contains two fine monuments by Chantrey, one of them to the late Mrs. Johnstone. Here was a cell, belonging to Whitby Abbey, which at the Dissolution contained four monks of the Benedictine order.