Hackford (St. Mary)
HACKFORD (St. Mary), a parish, in the hundred of Forehoe, E. division of Norfolk, 4 miles (W. by N.) from Wymondham; containing 264 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from Norwich to Hingham, and comprises 754 acres, of which 617 are arable, and 118 pasture and meadow. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £4. 15. 10., and in the patronage of T. T. Gurdon, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £213, and the glebe contains about 24 acres. The church, which was lately thoroughly repaired, is an exceedingly neat edifice; and contains, on the south side of the chancel, a piscina, discovered in 1840, and in the south porch, a stoup of elegant design: the font, also, is handsome.