Gwinear (St. Winnear)
GWINEAR (St. Winnear), a parish, in the union of Redruth, E. division of the hundred of Penwith, W. division of Cornwall, 3¼ miles (S. W. by W.) from Camborne; containing 2862 inhabitants. The parish comprises 4618 acres, of which 164 are waste land or common; the soil varies from a light friable mould to a heavy clay, occasionally covered with pebbles of white spar. There are several copper-mines, the principal of which, called Herland, produces also native silver. The chief villages are Cattebidrew, Drannock, Fraddam, Penhal, Tregortha, and Wall. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £12; patron, the Bishop of Exeter; impropriators, the Rector and Fellows of Exeter College, Oxford: the great tithes have been commuted for £483, and the vicarial for £284; the glebe comprises 34 acres. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. A quantity of Roman copper and silver coins was found about thirty years since, in digging for manure on the estate of Trungle; and in 1830, coins of Constantinus Tyrannicus, Flavius Julius, and Faustina, were discovered in an old fortification at Coswinsawsen.