Gunby (St. Peter)
GUNBY (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Spilsby, Wold division of the wapentake of Candleshoe, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 5¼ miles (E.) from Spilsby; containing 58 inhabitants. The parish comprises by measurement 666 acres; the soil is generally clayey. Gunby Hall, the seat of the Massingberd family, is pleasantly situated on an eminence commanding a view over the surrounding country, the coast of Norfolk, and the North Sea; the park is ornamented with stately trees, and contains several fine springs, of which one is chalybeate. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £3. 10. 2½., and in the gift of the Duke of Rutland: the tithes have been commuted for £140, and the glebe comprises 29¾ acres, with a house. The church was rebuilt in 1795, on the old site, and contains two ancient brasses, one inscribed to William Lodyngton, lord chief justice of the common pleas in the reign of Henry V., and the other to Sir Thomas Massingberd, Knt., and his wife.