Gumley (St. Helen)
GUMLEY (St. Helen), a parish, in the union of Harborough, hundred of Gartree, S. division of the county of Leicester, 4½ miles (N. W. by W.) from Harborough; containing 240 inhabitants, of whom a few are employed in the stocking-trade, and in making lace. The Union canal joins the Grand Junction within a quarter of a mile of this place. Gumley Hall is a handsome mansion, erected by Joseph Cradock, Esq., about 1768, and now the property of his relative Sir E. C. Hartopp, Bart., who is lord of the manor. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £16. 2. 6.; net income, £390; patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Lincoln: the tithes were commuted for land in 1772; the glebe comprises altogether 230 acres. The church is a neat edifice, recently repewed. There is a chalybeate spring.