Guiseley (St. Oswald)
GUISELEY (St. Oswald), a parish, in the Upper division of the wapentake of Skyrack, W. riding of York, 9 miles (N. W.) from Leeds; containing, with the townships of Carlton and Yeadon, and the chapelries of Horsforth and Rawdon, 12,274 inhabitants, of whom 1971 are in the township of Guiseley. This parish, in the Domesday survey Gisele, comprises about 8890 acres, of which 1580 are in the township of Guiseley, forming a manor which was long held by the Ward family, who in 1522 disposed of it to the Sherburnes, by whose heiress it was sold about the middle of the last century. The greater portion of the commons was inclosed in 1796. The surface rises in bold undulations from the banks of the river Aire to the hills of Otley-Chevin, and the higher grounds command extensive views of the surrounding country. The village is on an eminence about two miles from Otley, and is sheltered by heights of greater elevation; the inhabitants are chiefly employed in the woollen manufacture, for which there are four mills. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £26, and in the patronage of George Lane Fox, Esq., for two turns, and of Trinity College, Cambridge, for one turn: the tithes of the townships of Guiseley, Horsforth, Rawdon, and Yeadon, have been commuted for £521. 12., and there is a glebe of 171 acres, with a handsome glebe-house in the Elizabethan style, erected by Robert Moore, rector, in 1601. The church is an ancient structure in the Norman style, with a massive tower, and contains some highly enriched details in the capitals of the columns and mouldings of the arches; it was repewed in 1832, and contains 464 sittings, of which 100 are free. At Horsforth, Rawdon, Woodside, and Yeadon, are other incumbencies. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. A school was built by the Rev. Robert Moore, who in 1622 endowed it with an estate at Menstone; and in 1676 the Rev. Dean Hitch bequeathed a house and 22 acres of land, for the master. The old school-house was taken down in 1840, and a handsome building, in the later English style, erected in the year 1841.