Guilsborough (St. Ethelred)
GUILSBOROUGH (St. Ethelred), a parish, in the union of Brixworth, hundred of Guilsborough, S. division of the county of Northampton, 10 miles (N. W. by N.) from Northampton; containing, with the hamlets of Hollowell and Nortoft, 939 inhabitants. This parish, not including the area of Hollowell, comprises 2215a. 2r. 10p., of which about one-third is arable, 70 acres woodland, and 35 road and waste; the remainder is pasture. The surface is undulated, and the scenery pleasing. There are quarries of red sandstone, and clay for various uses is abundant. The road from Northampton to Welford intersects the parish, in which two brooks have their sources: they fall into the Nene. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £17. 3. 4.; net income, about £260, including £30 from a charity; patron and incumbent, the Rev. J. D. Watson; appropriators, the Dean and Canons of ChristChurch, Oxford: the tithes were commuted for land in 1764. The church is an ancient edifice. An additional church has been built at Hollowell. There is a place of worship for Baptists; also a free grammar school erected in 1668, by Sir John Langham, and endowed by him with £80 a year. In 1609, William Gilbert gave £100 towards the erection and support of a school, which bequest, with subsequent donations, was laid out in the purchase of a school-house, and of certain lands now producing £73 per annum. There are vestiges of a Roman camp, called Borough Hill, including an area of nearly eight acres, in the grounds belonging to the Hall.