Grundisburgh (St. Mary)
GRUNDISBURGH (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Woodbridge, hundred of Carlford, E. division of Suffolk, 3 miles (N. W. by W.) from Woodbridge; containing 874 inhabitants. This place was formerly a possession of the Blois family, who resided in the old mansion of Grundisburgh Hall, and after whose removal to Yoxford, the estate became the property of the Gurdon family, its present owners. The parish comprises by admeasurement 1897 acres. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £17. 11. 3., and in the gift of Trinity College, Cambridge: the tithes have been commuted for £527. 13. 4., and the glebe comprises 49 acres. The steeple of the church having fallen, a handsome new one was built about 1730, at the expense of the estate of Mr. Robert Thing. There is a place of worship for Baptists. Twenty-five acres of land have been left, of which the proceeds are applied to the repair of the church, and the relief of the poor.