Grittleton (St. Mary)
GRITTLETON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Chippenham, N. division of the hundred of Damerham, Chippenham and Calne, and N. divisions of Wilts, 7 miles (N. W. by N.) from Chippenham; containing 351 inhabitants. This parish, which is bounded on the north-west by the Roman road from Bath to Cirencester, comprises 2000 acres by computation. The soil in some parts is shallow, and in others wet and clayey, but the greater portion is dry and fertile; the surface is considerably elevated. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £13. 10.; patron and incumbent, the Rev. W. W. Burne, whose tithes have been commuted for £419, and whose glebe comprises four acres. The church has been enlarged by the erection of a south aisle, and considerably improved and beautified, at an expense of £1000, by the present rector. Here is a place of worship for Baptists.