Grinsdale (St. Kentigern)
GRINSDALE (St. Kentigern), a parish, in the union of Carlisle, Cumberland ward, E. division of the county of Cumberland, 2¾ miles (N. W. by W.) from Carlisle; containing 115 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, with a net income of £108; the patronage and impropriation belong to the family of Dacre. The church, for many years in ruins, was rebuilt with freestone in 1739, at the expense of Joseph Dacre, Esq.; a strong wall, also, has been raised to protect the cemetery from the inundations of the Eden. The great Roman wall intersects the parish, in which are also two large square intrenchments.