Gringley-on-the-Hill (St. Peter and St. Paul)
GRINGLEY-on-the-Hill (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the union of East Retford, NorthClay division of the wapentake of Bassetlaw, N. division of the county of Nottingham, 6 miles (E. S. E.) from Bawtry; containing 790 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the road from Bawtry to Gainsborough, and comprises 4139a. 1r. 10p., whereof about 2000 acres form the Carr, the drainage of which has been a work of great labour and expense. The village is neatly built, consisting of four streets of detached houses, and, from its situation on one of the highest promontories overlooking the carrs of Misson and Misterton, commands a most extensive prospect. The Chesterfield canal passes through the parish. A fair for cattle and for merchandise, especially boots and shoes, is held on the 12th of December. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £7. 18. 4.; net income, £158; patron, the Duke of Rutland: the vicarial tithes were commuted for 179a. 1r. 19p. of land in 1800. The church is an ancient structure in the later English style, with a square embattled tower; in the churchyard is an old cross. There are places of worship for Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists.