Grindon (All Saints)
GRINDON (All Saints), a parish, in the N. division of the hundred of Totmonslow and of the county of Stafford; containing 404 inhabitants, of whom 189 are in the township of Grindon, 7¼ miles (E. by S.) from Leek. This is an agricultural parish, divided into two nearly equal parts, called Grindon Town and Grindon Township, and comprises 3272 acres, of which 43 are uninclosed common, and the remainder good arable and pasture land: there are some quarries of good limestone. The village, which is indifferently built, occupies a high moorland situation, between the Hamps and Manyfold rivers, which unite their streams in a subterraneous channel about a mile to the east. The hamlets of Deep-dale, Ford, Hills-dale, and Martin's-Lowe are within the parish. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £15. 14. 2., and in the patronage of Mrs. Bradshaw: the tithes have been commuted for £372, and the glebe comprises 29 acres, with a rectoryhouse, built in 1834. The church, having become dilapidated, was restored and enlarged in 1846, at a cost of about £2000, defrayed by the incumbent, the Rev. S. Bradshaw, and his friends. A school is endowed with £24 per annum; and there are several bequests for distribution among the poor.