GRINDLETON, a chapelry, in the parish of Mitton, union of Clitheroe, W. division of the wapentake of Staincliffe and Ewcross, W. riding of York, 4 miles (N. N. E.) from Clitheroe; containing 902 inhabitants. The name of the township, a corruption of "green dale town," is naturally suggested by the almost constant verdure of the scenery. The area is 3760 acres; the lands consist of rich pasturage, and the population is employed partly in hand-loom weaving. The river Ribble flows on the south. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the vicar of Mitton, with a net income of £85, and a house. The chapel, or district church, a neat building with a square tower, and containing 300 sittings, was erected in 1802 at a cost of £700. A house and 12 acres of land, producing £28 per annum, and a rent-charge of £3, have been bequeathed for distribution among the poor.