Grimstone (St. Botolph)
GRIMSTONE (St. Botolph), a parish, in the union and hundred of Freebridge-Lynn, W. division of Norfolk, 7½ miles (E. by N.) from Lynn; containing 1137 inhabitants. It comprises 3953a. 3r. 7p., of which 460 acres are common appropriated to the use of the landed proprietors, 192 peat for providing the poor with turf, 100 wood, 350 pasture, 120 warren, and the remainder arable. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £26. 13. 4., and in the gift of Queen's College, Cambridge, with a net income of £280: the tithes were commuted for about 600 acres of land in 1779: the parsonage-house, which is ancient, is nearly surrounded by a moat. The church is chiefly in the decorated and later English styles, with a lofty embattled tower surmounted by crocketed pinnacles: after extensive repairs, it was reopened for divine worship in April, 1846. Under the west wall of the churchyard are two remarkably fine springs, which chiefly supply the water-works at Lynn. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have places of worship. A free school was founded and endowed in 1394 by John Telmon, and Sir John Thorogood afterwards bequeathed a house for the master, with 5 acres of land; the premises were rebuilt in 1830, at a cost of £1000.