Grimstone (St. John)
GRIMSTONE (St. John), a parish, in the union of Melton-Mowbray, hundred of East Goscote, N. division of the county of Leicester, 5 miles (W. N. W.) from Melton-Mowbray; containing 175 inhabitants. The parish comprises by survey 1015 acres, of which about one-third is arable, and the remainder pasture. The surface is hilly, and the high grounds command extensive views over the vale of the Wreke, Charnwood Forest, and Leicester; the prevailing timber is ash and oak, and the soil chiefly clay. The living is a donative curacy; net income, £43; patron, the Vicar of Rothley; impropriator, T. Babington, Esq.: the tithes were commuted for land in 1765. The church is an ancient structure.