GRIMSTEAD, WEST, a parish, in the union and hundred of Alderbury, Salisbury and Amesbury, and S. divisions of the county of Wilts, 5 miles (S. E. by E.) from Salisbury; containing 227 inhabitants. The parish comprises by admeasurement 1453 acres, of which nearly 200 are coppice-wood, and the remainder arable and pasture; the surface is undulated, and the soil various, consisting of chalk, clay, and sand. The ancient manor-house is still remaining, though much mutilated, and retaining little of its original character. The living is a rectory, with that of Plaitford annexed, valued in the king's books at £7. 10. 2½., and in the gift of the Earl of Ilchester: the incumbent's tithes in West Grimstead have been commuted for £260, and there is also a rent-charge of £10 payable to the charity trustees of the parish; the glebe comprises 12 acres. The church is a very ancient structure of flint, with quoins of freestone, and has details of the Norman, and early and decorated English styles. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.