GRIMSARGH, with Brockholes, a chapelry, in the parish and union of Preston, hundred of Amounderness, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 4 miles (N. E.) from Preston, on the road to Clitheroe; containing 331 inhabitants. Under the first duke of Lancaster, William de Eton held the town of "Grymesargh" by the service of three shillings per annum; and at the same time (reign of Henry III.) Roger de Etheleston was a tenant in the town by the like service of three shillings per annum. The manorial rights were long vested in the family of Hoghton, and were sold by Sir Henry Philip Hoghton, Bart., to the late William Cross, Esq., of Red Scar. The township, of which the river Ribble forms the southern boundary, comprises 1912 acres of land. The Preston and Longridge and the Fleetwood railways pass through it. Mrs. Cross, of Red Scar (an elegant modern mansion in the Elizabethan style, erected by Mr. Cross); James Blanchard, Esq., of Grimsargh House; and John Frederick Chadwick, Esq., of the Hermitage, are the chief proprietors. The living is a perpetual curacy, net income, £77, with a house; patron, the Vicar of Preston. The tithes have been commuted for £50. 13. 3. payable to the impropriators, and £6. 10. to the vicar. The chapel, dedicated to St. Michael, was consecrated in 1726; and was restored, and coloured-glass windows inserted, in 1844, at the expense of Mr. John Cross. A school is supported by subscription. The Preston Water-works Company have a reservoir here of twenty acres.