Grimley (St. Bartholomew)
GRIMLEY (St. Bartholomew), a parish, in the union of Martley, Lower division of the hundred of Oswaldslow, Worcester and W. divisions of the county of Worcester, 4½ miles (N. by W.) from Worcester; containing 723 inhabitants. This parish, which includes the hamlets of Monkwood-Green and Sinton-Green, is bounded on the east by the river Severn, and extends along the Stourport road; it comprises 2458 acres. Gravel of excellent quality is dug. The allotment system has been adopted, producing the most salutary effects on the labouring class. The mansion of Thorngrove stands on a gently rising eminence adjoining the road from Worcester to Ludlow; it is approached through a beautiful grove a mile long, and in front of the house is a fine lake: while sojourning in England, Lucien Bonaparte resided here for some time. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £14. 0. 10., and having the curacy of Hallow annexed; net income, £541, with a house; patron and appropriator, the Bishop of Worcester. The great tithes have been commuted for £280, and the vicarial for £170; the glebe comprises 25 acres, and there is other property belonging to the living, producing £50 per annum. The church is an ancient structure, which was enlarged, and the tower rebuilt, in 1846. Grimley was given, more than a thousand years ago, to the church of Worcester, by Burtwolf, King of the Mercians, before he was expelled his country by the Danes; and in the time of Pope Nicholas, the church of Grimley is mentioned with that of Hallow depending on it. Schools are supported partly by endowment. A stone celt of the ancient Britons was found in 1835 in a gravel bed, several feet below the surface, near Ball mill.