Gretton (St. James)
GRETTON (St. James), a parish, in the union of Uppingham, hundred of Corby, N. division of the county of Northampton, 2¾ miles (N. E.) from Rockingham, containing 859 inhabitants. The parish occupies the right bank of the river Welland, which separates it on the west from Rutlandshire; and comprises by admeasurement 4450 acres, of which a large extent is rich meadow, and about 1265 acres old forest-land. The surface is varied, and embellished with wood: the prevailing kind of timber is oak, and the agricultural produce wheat, with barley and beans; but grazing is the chief occupation of the farmers. The living is a discharged vicarage, with that of Duddington annexed, valued in the king's books at £19. 6. 8.; net income, £450; patron, the Bishop of Peterborough. The church is an ancient structure. Here is a place of worship for Baptists; also a national school, supported by the Earl of Winchilsea. Kirby Hall, a spacious rectangular mansion erected by Sir Christopher Hatton, an ancestor of his lordship's, in the reign of Elizabeth, is in the parish, and is a fine specimen of the domestic architecture of that period.